Wednesday, August 8, 2012

dental drama

Wednesday, August 8

************WARNING!  Very graphic image!***********

Milo went in to the vet to have his canine tooth area hole closed up today.  It was a full on surgical procedure rather than the "stitch" for which I had prepared myself for.  Due to the size of the hole, tissue had to be stretched from both the gum line above the hole as well as from the roof of his mouth to cover the hole and "meet" and fold over - so there are more like 14-17 stitches to make that happen and a great deal of pulling of flesh which means more discomfort for the poor guy.

Although Milo was cheerful when we arrived at the vet's office and happy to go off with his friends this morning, apparently the memory of his recent surgery with his teeth getting pulled were with him.  I was told later that after I left and he was brought back to the kennel area, he began putting on the brakes and trying to get back to me.  :(   I'm glad I didn't know this before I left the vet's office this morning or I would have felt terrible and more concerned for him.

When I picked him up tonight he again was extremely drugged up on morphine and wearing an enormous cone to prevent him from rubbing his face with his paw which, apparently, he began attempting as soon as he began waking from the anesthesia.  If he rips out these stitches, he will have a permanent hole there as there is no more flesh to work with.  A permanent hole up to his sinus could pose lots of issues for him in the future.

He was drooling blood and had resisted sleep after surgery even after being given a big dose of morphine for pain and discomfort.  As I was standing in the lobby talking with the vet staff Milo nearly nodded off leaning against my leg.   Probably because I had them remove the giant cone since we own two cones at the house and he was grateful for the reprieve of the dreaded "doggie lampshade".

Going out of the building he nearly fell over trying to pee and barely missed smacking into the corner of the building.  After we got Milo loaded into his crate in the van, he slumped against the side of the crate and refused to relax at first - still fighting the pain meds.  By the time we got home about 40 minutes later he had relaxed enough to lie down.

We've had a very quiet evening with him sleeping - finally - as he was a bit nervous acting when we got into the house.  The side of his muzzle where he had the surgery is very swollen, but the blood drooling has abated.   I've been offering ice chips with salmon juice and he's had one small meal and will have another before bedtime.  Hoping he has a very quiet and restful night.

Can't believe all the health trauma this guy has had to endure!  Poor kid.  Please send positive energy for a successful outcome in this latest challenge for Milo.  Thank you.

Below is a photo from the vet of Milo's procedure.  It is very graphic.  It is of his upper jaw and the stitches are around the flap of skin covering the hole to the sinus and the breathing tube is still in place.

1 comment:

  1. You are an angel for watching over
    one could be doing a better job.....thank you
    for loving him and providing him with the necessary medical care so he can live a quality
    life. Appreciate the updates.....I check out
    your blog daily. Hugs for sweet Milo.